Eleven Money-saving Auto Insurance Tips For Senior Drivers
Following a few simple tips and taking these measures will ensure that you are getting the lowest rates possible on your auto insurance policy.
1. Avoid more Accidents, Pay Close Attention at Intersections. Auto accidents involving seniors often occur at intersections. Make sure to look ahead if you plan to quickly change lanes after an intersection. Pay attention to protected left turn lanes with their own arrows, and always keep your tires pointed straight ahead when stopped, so that a rear-end accident doesn't push you into oncoming traffic.
2. Follow the flow of traffic, Drive at the at or near the speed limit. Driving too slowly can be just as dangerous as speeding, especially when entering or exiting interstates or freeways. It can also trigger dangerous "road rage" in less patient drivers. You don't have to be Mario Andretti, but keeping to the right and following the flow of traffic is the safest bet.
3. Many violations include failure to yield right-of-way, improper turning or incorrect lane changes, so keep current on the traffic laws relating to new traffic designs.
4. Sit high enough in your seat so that you can see at least 10 feet in front of your car, advises the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If your car seat does not adjust to allow this, add a cushion. This will make it easier to see pedestrians and bike riders, and reduce problems from oncoming headlight glare at night.
5. Do not wear sunglasses or tinted glasses when driving at night. For many older drivers, night vision is reduced, so safety dictates not driving at twilight or after dark.
6. Make sure you learn how to operate a New Car. Things like Anti-lock brakes, for example operate differently in slippery situations. If you have never driven a car with anti-lock brakes, sure to get training on proper use.
7. Senior drivers can refresh their skills and knowledge -- and get a discount on auto insurance in many states -- by taking a refresher driving course, such as the eight-hour "55 Alive" course offered by AARP. More than two-thirds of states mandate auto insurance policy discounts for such courses, and many insurance companies offer the discounts voluntarily.
8. Look for cars with rear-view mirrors that automatically dim and filter out headlight glare.
9. Air bag technology has become more advanced, with sensors that deploy air bags based on the weight of the occupant, reducing air-bag-related injuries. Some new cars also have side air bags in the seats or door frame that offer better protection.
10. Consider fit and comfort in your new car. Seat belts that comfortably fit over your shoulder and low on your lap will keep you safer. Automatic transmission, power steering and power brakes require less physical effort.
11. Last but definitely not least, Check to see which companies offer specific 'Senior Discounts' While shopping around for the best auto insurance rates is important, which insurance company you choose might depend on how they treat senior drivers. You'll get their best rates if you're healthy and drive a safe, modern vehicle.
Reprints of this article are allowed (and encouraged) for your site or newsletter with inclusion of a simple link to http://www.hometownquotes.com.
Matt McWilliams is one of the co-founders of HometownQuotes.Com, an online insurance quotes web site. He is originally from Pinebluff, NC and attended Middle Tennessee State University in 2002. He is considered an expert in the field of online insurance shopping and finding new ways to help consumers save money on their insurance. For more information visit http://www.hometownquotes.com
How To Negotiate A Settlement With An Insurance Claims Adjuster
You and I. M. Strong, the adjuster from Granite Mountain Insurance, are sitting at your kitchen table in an attemp...(related: Insurance)
What Are The Auto Liability Insurance State Minimums For My State?
As you shop online for the best auto insurance deals you may begin to ask yourself what exactly is required by law when it comes to auto insurance. Fortunately this article outlines the auto liability insurance state minimums that you are required to have in order to legally drive in the United States. No matter what state you drive in all of them have financial responsibility laws and require motorists to purchase minimum amounts of auto liability insurance except for Tennessee, Wisconsin and New Hampshire.Many websites and advocates of insurance (to include myself) recommend having a minimum of $100,000 for bodily injury p...(related: Insurance)
Online Health Insurance Quotes - Finding The Cheapest Rates Possible
Shopping for health insurance can be very discouraging when you become aware of the costs. If you are in search of affordable health insurance, an online quote may be very helpful to you. Purchasing insurance online or simply getting an online quote from one or more health insurance carriers can save you a ...(related: Insurance)
Guide To Life Insurance
Here is a useful guide to life insurance. Simply put, a life insurance policy provides a lump sum payment upon death of the policy holder.In exchange for regular premiums, a life insurance company will insure your life so that when you die, the policy should pay out to protect your dependants from the extra pain of financial hardship.This is particularly important when buying a house, or when you or your family takes on a large, long-term financial commitment. In the event of death, for example, the payment from a life insurance policy can be used to pay off a mortgage.Policies can be arranged on either a single or joint life basis. Depending on the type of policy you choose, your insurer will pay either a lump sum or a regular income which you could use t...(related: Insurance)
Private Medical Insurance- Finding The Right Policy For You
Why Private Medical Insurance Is Becoming So PopularRecent research indicates that the vast majority of consumers take out private medical insurance because they are concerned about the length of waiting lists for treatment in NHS hospitals.68% of those questioned in a recent online poll, said that they wanted to receive treatment when it was needed rather than having to take their chances with the NHS waiting lists. In other words the failure of the NHS to deliver is directly responsible for the growing popularity of private medical insurance in the UK.Benefits of Private Medical Insurance Over The NHSWhereas the shortest waiting period for general surgery on the NHS is 32 weeks, those covered by private medical insurance are able to receive treatment as and when they need it, in a hospita...(related: Insurance)
10 Ways To Lower Your Auto Insurance
Nowadays, auto insurance is really expensive. A typical insurance policy can cost a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars a year. And the insurance rates you pay are hugely dependent on the insurance company or agent, your age, your car type, your driving record, and even the area you reside...(related: Insurance)
Health Insurance Quotes Online - Tips On Finding A Good Provider
Since 2001, major health insurance providers have been allowing consumers to buy policies online. Through the convenience of the internet, consumers are able to compare prices and coverage to find the best insurance policy for them. Before you sign up with a health insurance provider, you should consider price, company history, and coverage to make sure you find a good plan for your situation.Identify Your Coverage NeedsBefore you start gathering quotes for health insurance policies, identify how much coverage you will need. Start by looking over your past medical expenses for the last three years. Do you need a lot of coverage or do you rarely need to see a doctor?Next, consider your future expected medical expenses. Are you looking to cover typical office visits through the year? Or do you want to protect ...(related: Insurance)
Health Insurance, What Does It Mean?
Your health insurance policy is an agreement between you and your insurance company. The policy lists a package of medical benefits such as tests, drugs and treatment services. The insurance company agrees to cover the cost of certain benefits listed in your policy. These are called "covered services."Your health insurance policy also lists the kinds of services that are not covered by your insurance company. You have to pay for any uncovered medical care health insurance that you receive. Keep in mind that in case of health insurance a medical necessity is not the same as a medical benefit. A medical necessity is something that your doctor has decided is necessary. A medical benefit is ...(related: Insurance)