Eleven Money-saving Auto Insurance Tips For Senior Drivers
Following a few simple tips and taking these measures will ensure that you are getting the lowest rates possible on your auto insurance policy.
1. Avoid more Accidents, Pay Close Attention at Intersections. Auto accidents involving seniors often occur at intersections. Make sure to look ahead if you plan to quickly change lanes after an intersection. Pay attention to protected left turn lanes with their own arrows, and always keep your tires pointed straight ahead when stopped, so that a rear-end accident doesn't push you into oncoming traffic.
2. Follow the flow of traffic, Drive at the at or near the speed limit. Driving too slowly can be just as dangerous as speeding, especially when entering or exiting interstates or freeways. It can also trigger dangerous "road rage" in less patient drivers. You don't have to be Mario Andretti, but keeping to the right and following the flow of traffic is the safest bet.
3. Many violations include failure to yield right-of-way, improper turning or incorrect lane changes, so keep current on the traffic laws relating to new traffic designs.
4. Sit high enough in your seat so that you can see at least 10 feet in front of your car, advises the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If your car seat does not adjust to allow this, add a cushion. This will make it easier to see pedestrians and bike riders, and reduce problems from oncoming headlight glare at night.
5. Do not wear sunglasses or tinted glasses when driving at night. For many older drivers, night vision is reduced, so safety dictates not driving at twilight or after dark.
6. Make sure you learn how to operate a New Car. Things like Anti-lock brakes, for example operate differently in slippery situations. If you have never driven a car with anti-lock brakes, sure to get training on proper use.
7. Senior drivers can refresh their skills and knowledge -- and get a discount on auto insurance in many states -- by taking a refresher driving course, such as the eight-hour "55 Alive" course offered by AARP. More than two-thirds of states mandate auto insurance policy discounts for such courses, and many insurance companies offer the discounts voluntarily.
8. Look for cars with rear-view mirrors that automatically dim and filter out headlight glare.
9. Air bag technology has become more advanced, with sensors that deploy air bags based on the weight of the occupant, reducing air-bag-related injuries. Some new cars also have side air bags in the seats or door frame that offer better protection.
10. Consider fit and comfort in your new car. Seat belts that comfortably fit over your shoulder and low on your lap will keep you safer. Automatic transmission, power steering and power brakes require less physical effort.
11. Last but definitely not least, Check to see which companies offer specific 'Senior Discounts' While shopping around for the best auto insurance rates is important, which insurance company you choose might depend on how they treat senior drivers. You'll get their best rates if you're healthy and drive a safe, modern vehicle.
Reprints of this article are allowed (and encouraged) for your site or newsletter with inclusion of a simple link to http://www.hometownquotes.com.
Matt McWilliams is one of the co-founders of HometownQuotes.Com, an online insurance quotes web site. He is originally from Pinebluff, NC and attended Middle Tennessee State University in 2002. He is considered an expert in the field of online insurance shopping and finding new ways to help consumers save money on their insurance. For more information visit http://www.hometownquotes.com
How To Negotiate A Settlement With An Insurance Claims Adjuster
You and I. M. Strong, the adjuster from Granite Mountain Insurance, are sitting at your kitchen table in an attemp...(related: Insurance)
What Are The Auto Liability Insurance State Minimums For My State?
As you shop online for the best auto insurance deals you may begin to ask yourself what exactly is required by law when it comes to auto insurance. Fortunately this article outlines the auto liability insurance state minimums that you are required to have in order to legally drive in the United States. No matter what state you drive in all of them have financial responsibility laws and require motorists to purchase minimum amounts of auto liability insurance except for Tennessee, Wisconsin and New Hampshire.Many websites and advocates of insurance (to include myself) recommend having a minimum of $100,000 for bodily injury p...(related: Insurance)
Online Health Insurance Quotes - Finding The Cheapest Rates Possible
Shopping for health insurance can be very discouraging when you become aware of the costs. If you are in search of affordable health insurance, an online quote may be very helpful to you. Purchasing insurance online or simply getting an online quote from one or more health insurance carriers can save you a ...(related: Insurance)
Guide To Life Insurance
Here is a useful guide to life insurance. Simply put, a life insurance policy provides a lump sum payment upon death of the policy holder.In exchange for regular premiums, a life insurance company will insure your life so that when you die, the policy should pay out to protect your dependants from the extra pain of financial hardship.This is particularly important when buying a house, or when you or your family takes on a large, long-term financial commitment. In the event of death, for example, the payment from a life insurance policy can be used to pay off a mortgage.Policies can be arranged on either a single or joint life basis. Depending on the type of policy you choose, your insurer will pay either a lump sum or a regular income which you could use t...(related: Insurance)
Private Medical Insurance- Finding The Right Policy For You
Why Private Medical Insurance Is Becoming So PopularRecent research indicates that the vast majority of consumers take out private medical insurance because they are concerned about the length of waiting lists for treatment in NHS hospitals.68% of those questioned in a recent online poll, said that they wanted to receive treatment when it was needed rather than having to take their chances with the NHS waiting lists. In other words the failure of the NHS to deliver is directly responsible for the growing popularity of private medical insurance in the UK.Benefits of Private Medical Insurance Over The NHSWhereas the shortest waiting period for general surgery on the NHS is 32 weeks, those covered by private medical insurance are able to receive treatment as and when they need it, in a hospita...(related: Insurance)
Who Else Wants To Understand Travel Insurance Policy Language?
Aren't all travel insurance plans basically the same?No. When you read travel insurance policy language, remember that as with any legal document, the definition of the terms is what governs the working of the policy (including payment of the claim).I create hypothetical travel scenarios for training purposes. This includes contacting our travel insurance suppliers' claims departments to see how they handle a given scenario.A common concern of travelers are Pre-Existing Medica...(related: Insurance)
What Does Buildings Insurance Cover?
You will find that your lender will insist that you have this cover when you take out a mortgage. The lender, remember, owns your home until you have paid off the mortgage. However, because they don't live in it, you are responsible for it, thus you need to insure the building. Should the property fall down, the lender wants it to be covered for the catastrophe.But buildings insurance cover permanent fixtures and fittings as well. It will also cover toilets, baths and fitted kitchens, your interior decorations and bedroom cupboards. To know what your buildings insurance will cover, try this simple test ? can you reasonably remove the fixture and take it t...(related: Insurance)
Is An Hsa A Type Of Insurance?
A Health Savings Account (HSA) is not a type of health insurance. But that's an easy mistake to make!HSAs are closely associated to health insurance, although they do not provide any insurance benefits themselves.Think of an HSA as a special type of savings account. It's a savings account where:You can put money in and get a tax deduction.You can take money out anytime, as long as the money gets used for medical purposes.That's an HSA in a nutshell. But it's worth talking about a few more specifics.You need to get an HSA from a special HSA custodian. Any business that can create an Individual Retirement Account (IRA) can also create an HSA for you. That includes many banks, insurance agents and financial advisors....(related: Insurance)